Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Principles of Regenerative Agroecology

  My video is a recreation of a part of a talk I recently gave at a conference. You will notice the tall grass. That is the best way to deal with extreme weather conditions. The weeds create cover and protect the soil and help hold moisture. We have had 2" - 3" in of rain in the past 5 months and nothing in the past 3 months along with record heat temps. My talk in part is trying to deal with a lot of misconceptions about how to regenerate land and be a good land steward.
  If you wish to work with land and grow some of your food then you want to do it with integrity. That is how you produce high quality food. There are also incredible rewards in revitalizing land to bring it to it's full potential. Soil responds to positive inputs. Developing land is done in stages. For instance at the www.Tierrasonrisagarden.com  I started by assessing the land and building compost piles. Where some of the compost piles were built I later planted fruit trees. I laid out beds, dug and planted them. In the fall,  I dug them again and planted them in perennials. The garden was developed in phases. Developing healthy soil takes time. To take exhausted and degraded land and turn it into a beautiful garden is incredibly rewarding. To enhance the life of a piece of land fills me with life. If you love this type of work you can pour that love into the land and it will pay you back several times in many ways. It is a labor of love that replenishes the soul. If it seems like too much work then maybe it is not for you. There is a lot of land in need of healing and not enough people who want to do it.  It is also an investment in your future. Done correctly, the yields and quality improve, problems become less and there is less work involved. It is more than a job. It is a lifestyle. Developing a close relationship with the land helps me connect with the life around me and how to fit into it. Life attracts life and this adds rhythm to my dance of life.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the informative article, it'll helps who needed. We at Bahuvida Limited are joining hands in Agro Commodities development by creating robust supply chain management. #FarmerFirst, it's not just a slogan, it's our business philosophy. We are trying to bring farmer forefront of the country and back in the profitable position of agriculture. For Agribusiness and Agricultural produce marketing logon to: www.bahuvida.com to understand more about on the subject. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in the pacific NW and have an acre. I'm trying to garden a former lawn (it was huge). I'm not sure how to cover the garden in the winter. I see some farms using big sheets of black plastic. I have lots of hairy buttercup weed and dock in it, and don't know what to do about that. I'm going down an internet black hole trying to figure it out. HELP! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try cover crops. I believe fava beans, oats and clover put down in a dense cover will help to choke out weeds and put nutrients in the soil. Plastic will suffocate the beneficial microorganisms.

      Delete